So in order to root you will need to download a couple of files and store them in your Android SDK folder/platform-tools/. The link to download the files can be found at the wonderful XDA forums in this this thread regarding rooting a xoom. Please also refer to this thread for any detail that I left out as well as for assistance, it is an amazing and helpful community. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=968342 So below I am going to list the text that I will be entering into the Terminal. These steps complement the video.
Steps to Enter into Terminal
1. adb reboot bootloader (You can skip the next 3 steps if you’ve unlocked with fastboot previously)
2. fastboot oem unlock
3. adb reboot bootloader
4. fastboot flash boot rootboot.img
5. fastboot reboot
6. adb remount
7. adb push su /system/bin/
8. adb shell (everything from here is within the shell, up to the exit)
9. ln –s /system/bin/su /system/xbin/su
10. chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
12. adb push Superuser.apk /system/app/
So there are now fireworks, bells, and whistles, after you finish rooting. So how do you know? Well there is an App called Root Check made by a great member from the XDA Community. With a simple press of the button you will know if you have rooted your device. Check it out!